Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Potty Time!



I have probably been dreading potty training for about a year or so.  No joke.  I've known that I would use the book that my mom raved about Toilet Training In Less Than a Day.  I have a friend who got great results with it as well.  I knew it would be a tough, loooong day and turned out to be right.  But it was so worth it.

DAY 1
I had read the book, taken notes, set everything I needed out the night before.... I was ready.  Of course things never go by the book.  Hudson had his first accident and started crying.  Not in the book.  Um...ok what now?  After an accident the book tells you to run the kid to the potty and have him sit down for a second and "practice" what he should have done 10 times.  Hud was so upset he would scream and cry every time I took him near the potty.  Not good.  I'm thinking I don't want to make it seem like punishment to sit on the potty but then again, I didn't come this far to turn back.  I called for backup and got encouragement from my friend and decide to press on.  I will obviously have to be more flexible and do what works for Hudson.  A life lesson you think I would have learned by now.

We regrouped and pressed on.  Throughout the morning I did dry pants checks.  If his pants were dry, he would get a treat and juice to encourage lots of peeing.  I tried putting him on his potty again.  Again with the crying and wanting to get up.  I gave him a treat just for sitting on the potty and let him put his head on my shoulder while he sat there.  He peed!  I made a big deal about it and offered him a treat.  Honestly he was more interested in the whole task of taking the pot out of his potty and taking it to the bathroom to pour out by himself.

After that it seemed all downhill.  He still didn't like to sit on the potty but he even started telling me when he had to potty.  He told me twice while he was eating lunch:  once to pee and once to poop (yay!).  The only other accident we had during day one was right after his nap.  He started peeing while sitting on the couch but finished on the potty.  My only complaint is that he pees too much!  We were running to the potty every 15 mins!  It's so funny to see his face light up when he pees.  He smiles and says "HUDSON!  PEE PEE POTTY!"

DAY 2
No accidents!  I decided to just go about my day as I normally would (while staying at home) and let Hudson play and do whatever to see how he would do.  He did awesome!  He would come up to me and tell me when he needed to go potty.  I had been so worried.  Guess he showed me.

DAY 3
I decided to venture out yesterday and test Hud to see how he would do while running errands.  I brought his potty with, us along with a change of pants and underwear, wipes, and ziplock bags (my new car staples).  We left around 9:45am and were gone until 11:30.  He held it in the whole time!  When we were at Target he told me he needed to potty so I took him to the bathroom in there.  He didn't like their big toilet and refused to pee in it so I told him he would have to hold it if he didn't go in there.  He did!  We made it all of the way home with no accidents!  In the afternoon we went to a friend's house to play and he even held it the whole time we were there as well!  Fingers crossed, but he seems to be doing so well.  I'm so proud of my big boy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment