We have been hard at work (sporadically anyway) on Hudson's big boy room and it's finally almost finished. One of the big projects that I decided to tackle was the nightstand. We found this cheepy from Ikea for a mere $30. You can't beat that (believe me.... I tried).
In my very extensive nightly home-blog searching I've been inspired by Miss Mustard Seed to make my first attempt in refinishing a piece of furniture. I especially loved her Union Jack dresser but it didn't really fit the look I was going for.
I went with something a little smaller and not as complicated for my first time out.
I started by painting our cheep Ikea purchase Sherwin Williams Daisy yellow (two coats plus a primer).
Next I rubbed on a coat of Minwax dark finishing paste. I wiped it off right away. It left enough behind to make the brush strokes stand out and darken the paint a little.
After the wax dried, I did a little distressing. I lightly sanded the whole thing and really gave the edges a good scrubbing. Then I did another coat of the dark wax so it could set in the edges where I had just sanded (which didn't work as well as I would have liked).
Then painted the numbers on. Instead of going out and buying a stencil (which I'm sure would have been easier), I just made my own in Microsoft Word. I just traced the numbers that I printed out and painted them on.
Once they were dry I lightly sanded over them to make them look worn. Then I did a final coat of clear wax to seal the numbers on.
After the wax dried, I did a little distressing. I lightly sanded the whole thing and really gave the edges a good scrubbing. Then I did another coat of the dark wax so it could set in the edges where I had just sanded (which didn't work as well as I would have liked).
Then painted the numbers on. Instead of going out and buying a stencil (which I'm sure would have been easier), I just made my own in Microsoft Word. I just traced the numbers that I printed out and painted them on.
Once they were dry I lightly sanded over them to make them look worn. Then I did a final coat of clear wax to seal the numbers on.






.jpg)


0 comments:
Post a Comment